Umbrella insurance is a type of personal liability insurance that can be indispensable when you find yourself liable for a claim larger than your homeowner’s insurance or auto insurance will cover. If you own a boat, umbrella insurance will also pick up where your watercraft’s liability insurance leaves off.
Umbrella insurance even covers certain liability claims those policies may not, such as libel, slander, and false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, wrongful entry, invasion of privacy, and other hazards.
If you own rental property, umbrella insurance provides liability coverage beyond what your renter’s policy covers.
How Does an Umbrella Policy Work?
- Your dog runs out of the house and viciously attacks a neighbor who was going for a walk. Your neighbor sues you to cover her medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Your daughter gets into a fight at school and punches another girl, breaking her nose. The girl’s parents sue you.
- You cause a 10-car accident and your auto insurance property damage coverage is not high enough to replace all 10 accident victims’ vehicles. Nor is your personal liability coverage high enough to pay for their medical bills.
- You send sandwiches to your son’s school for a field trip lunch. Several students develop food poisoning and their parents sue you.
- Your teenager throws a party at your house while you’re out of town. Someone brings alcohol to the party, and one of the guests is arrested for driving under the influence on the way home. You are sued.
What Our Customers Say
“JD Prime has been handling all of our insurance needs for a few years now. Prior to Jim stepping in, we were kind of “winging it” when it came to what insurances we needed and for what values. Jim took the time to clearly help us understand what coverages we needed and more importantly why we needed them. Jim, and his team, are always there to answer all of our questions and they even service our investor’s rental portfolios. I would easily recommend Jim and his team to anyone needing insurance.”
“We started placing our insurance with Jim 2 years ago and we are so glad he found us. We have been so pleased with his service, friendliness, and guidance, more than anyone we’ve ever had.”
“About 12 or so years ago while minding my own business, Jim DelVecchio walked into my office. My original agent was no longer at that agency and Jim was assigned my account. Since I had been in the insurance business at one time, we were able to converse about insurance easily. When he left that agency, I followed him to other agencies and stayed with him when he formed his own insurance agency. I often question myself as to why??? The answer is simple……. He is unquestionably the most knowledgeable person in that field that I have ever met. Plus, he grows on you. If I have a problem, he is my go-to source. And I return the favor. All my insurance in now with JD Prime Insurance Agency.”
“Insurance made easy! Jim is always there to answer questions and to review policies. Kind, courteous, and knowledgeable service!”
“Want to give a shootout to Jim DelVecchio of JD Prime Insurance. He emailed me this morning to let me know that the insurance company I am with just lowered their rates. I’m only a couple months into this year’s policy period so he had to cancel my policy then reapply. I’m sure it was a pain in the rear for him paperwork wise. My premium dropped approximately 40%. My guess is his commission also dropped 40%. He had no good reason to do this except to provide exceptional customer service.”